Thursday, November 5, 2009

Speed Warp



I don't usually notice the remarkable velocity of, well, everything in the world (except me) until I try to go fast.


My fibromyalgia isn't something I talk about often. It's hard enough to live with, who wants to hear about it? But there's a strange phenomenon associated with fibro that I don't find nearly as annoying as I'm sure my loved ones do. I get to live in a speed warp.


It doesn't matter how fast crowds, other people's thoughts, or the Internet may go roaring past. I get to walk. Sometimes it's my body that won't move quickly, and sometimes it's my brain. Sometimes it's both.  Sometimes it's pain, but often it's just a cloud that settles around my head like a halo of fog on a mountaintop. Whatever it is, it slows me down and reminds me how nice it is to amble.


I registered my blog with StatCounter today. This is an amazing site where I can track my visitor traffic. No personal data can be seen, of course, so there's no need to hide. But what I can see is an overview of where visitors are coming from. It's very cool. My favorite feature is a map of the world with little pins that show me where you all live.


I mention this because writing to pins in a map is a whole lot more motivating than writing to nobody at all. Each pin represents a real person living in Montreal or Hawaii or Japan. And I try to picture each little pin-person sitting at a computer, speeding through the Internet on his or her own trajectory, searching for one thing or another and making good time as they whiz through all the really fast and up-to-date sites there are out there, then crashing to a halt when they hit my blog before whizzing off again.


I've been ambling--and rambling--a lot these days. There are times when I'd like to run, particularly when I think about all there is to do. And jumping over houses is much more successful when one has a good running start. But all in all, I like having an excuse not to speed.


It gives me a chance to listen for the sprouting of seeds I continue to drop on the path, one by one, as I go moseying by.

No comments: