Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Piling Rocks Instead



Okay, maybe building an empire was a little overblown at this point. Maybe for the moment it's enough to build...well, a pile.


I was sorting through some old articles yesterday with the idea of uploading them to Bukisa so that people could read them and my millions could come pouring in. And I ran across an article I wrote a few years ago and I thought, "Hey, this one's really good."


It occurred to me that if I put it on a content website, I might not be able to get it published anywhere else--like with a real publisher. So I've decided to send it to a magazine. The subject covers day jobs and creativity (big surprise), and I'm wondering where it will find a home. Maybe an art industry journal like ArtCalendar, where I was published once before, or perhaps an open-minded business magazine.


Writing query letters  is a task that's bewildered me for years, not least because of the oddball topics I write about. Sad to say, there doesn't seem to be any way out. Freelance article writers have to write query letters. Bleh. Let's hope they don't turn out like these . 


You should see my To-Do lists. They're at least as long as yours. I want to do everything at once, and I want it all done now so I can sit down and weave beads.


But time is chronological. This is a slow planet and I'm particularly slow. Building a pile is about all I can manage these days. An uploaded article here, a query letter there, and wa-ay over there a translator application form.


In the end, my pile will look like something. Not an empire, maybe, but perhaps a well, or even a fountain. I'll just keep putting one rock on top of the other and stand back to have a look when the last one's on top.


Still, it'd sure be a lot easier with one of those nifty tripods.

No comments: