Monday, September 14, 2009

Marketing and Me

A fish up a tree.

Marketing is my nemesis. It hides in my closet and jumps me in the dark. And it seems that everything is marketing. Outside of the day job, that is.

In a funny way, I cling to my translation job because I work through agencies that find clients for me. True, I get paid a bit less this way than I would with direct clients, but it's worth gold not to have to market myself.

A day job keeps me in a rhythm and gives me something to bitch about. But when the work isn't regular, I have to switch gears and become marketer and product at the same time.

Like many Americans these days, I'm trying to patchwork several jobs into one cohesive income. I love the idea of freelance writing. Pack up the old computer and type my way down the road. Send in an article and rake in the dough.

Over time, I've come to the conclusion that magazine articles are a dismal way to earn a living unless you're at the top of the pile. There's no guarantee of publication with most venues and they don't pay much in the end. But I think I may have found a market that makes sense in my life.

This morning, I downloaded a book by Bob Bly on writing articles for corporate magazines. Unlike the commercial magazine market, corporate magazines actually pay for articles. I'm thinking that this may be a market segment that won't have me spinning my wheels.

In a bold and scary marketing move, I'm also thinking of becoming an affiliate of Bob's. He charges reasonable prices for his products and I think what he's offering is both helpful and trustworthy.


It probably also wouldn't hurt for me to affiliate with the American Writers & Artists, Inc. AWAI offers a range of intriguing possibilities for those of us with creative leanings to make money working at home, next to our artistic pursuits. I've benefited from several of them over the years.

If you're like me, you'll have to squint your eyes to see past the in-your-face copywriting format of their advertising, but please take the time to do it. There's real substance and opportunity there.

Okay, enough marketing for today. Time to go look at some color...and write an article on prioritizing so I can read it to myself.

Adios for now, from Up The Tree.

No comments: